We are really happy to announce that a new Content Provider from Italy has joined Archives Portal Europe, the Archivio Ingegnere Architetto Dino Tamburini!
Daria Mikhaylova, one of its archivist, explains what the Archivio Tamburini is about:
Dino Tamburini (1924-2011) was an Italian civil engineer and architect, he was born, raised and worked all his life in Trieste, a city and a port in the region of Friuli Venezia Giulia, on the border with Slovenia. Tamburini studied civil engineering in Turin and then Padua during the second world war, and later returned to Trieste to participate actively in the city’s reconstruction and reflections on its future as an integral part of Italy. After the short period of apprenticeship with Vittorio Frandoli, he establishes his own architectural studio and, together with his friends Roberta Costa and Lucio Arneri and older colleague Antonio Guacci, wins his first competition for the wholesale fruit and vegetable market in the port of Trieste, a complex and innovative structure for shipment and distribution, that unfortunately never sees the light. Tamburini’s interest in new construction technologies and materials finds expression in his and Costa’s design for tower flat buildings, the first “skyscrapers” of Trieste. Tamburini then proceeds his work alone and design urban plans, residential structures, schools, sport halls and churches. He is the author of more than fifty public and private civil buildings in Trieste, some of them, like Parish Church dedicated to Aloysius de Gonzaga recognised for their innovational approach and aesthetic values. In the 1970s, he works on transport infrastructures, like Trieste’s first airport terminals, and scientific laboratories, visiting US and France to learn the peculiarities of architecture for research. When the urban development of Trieste slows down in 1980s, Tamburini, graduated at the age of 58 in architecture in Venice, turns his efforts to the restoration and reconstruction of historical buildings like the Teatro Giuseppe Verdi, the Palazzo Aedes, the Hotel della Ville and works with local artists and artisans.(Pic 01: Dino Tamburini working in his studio, 5 October 1966.)
Tamburini archive dates entirely from the period after his return to Trieste as a graduate student, covering years of his professional career, 1948-2008. It is documenting his architectural projects, his graphic work and editorial activity and contains drawings, technical papers, photographs, draft of publications, notes and correspondence with clients, colleagues, and friends.
The project files include full documentation consisting of competition notices, study materials, research reports, technical drawings, correspondence, and management records for buildings commissioned after 1980. Earlier projects are documented by copies of sketches and drawings, photographs of models and buildings in various stages of construction, commissioned by Tamburini to acclaimed industrial photographers of Trieste Arduino Pozzar, Alfonso Mottola, Ruggero Pozzar, Piccolo Silani, Livio Schiozzi. The photographs, in particular, depict residential and office buildings, streets and life scenes around Tamburini’s works, an interesting testimony of Trieste and surroundings from 1950 to 1995. (Pic 02: Collage for the project of residential building at Campo Marzio)
Along with architectural records, the fonds contains a section with Tamburini’s caricatures, paintings, illustrations and preparatives for publications, archival materials used for his personal research. Editorial materials include the illustrated stories prepared as Christmas gifts, short publications with texts of Nicoletta Brunner, Fulvio Anzelotti and drawings of artists such as Corrado Balest, Federico Righi, Ossi Czimmer, Nino Perizi, Lucio Saffaro. Passionate about the sea and sailing, Tamburini and his friends wrote and illustrated board journals for each of their annual journeys, those could be found among personal documents, as well as his awards and recognitions, memorials and personal correspondence.
Pic 03: Decoration for imaginary Villa Gaia, Corrado Balest, 1997
Pic 04: Left nave of the Parish Church dedicated to Aloysius de Gonzaga, Arduino Pozzar, 1959
Pic 05: Demolition works are starting for the construction of the residential complex in via Marconi, Trieste, around 1974