Give credit where credit is due.
- Give attribution to the content provider, i.e. the institution holding the archival material and providing its description, and - where possible - all aggregators, including Archives Portal Europe. Aggregators perform a crucial task in collecting, storing and harmonising metadata so that it is more widely accessible and interoperable.
- Make sure that others are aware of the rights status of the Archives Portal Europe metadata and are aware of these guidelines. One way you can do this is to keep links to the CC BY-SA licence and to these guidelines intact.
- If, for technical or other reasons, you cannot include all the appropriate links and rights information alongside the metadata that you have used, you should consider including them separately, for example in a separate document that is distributed with the metadata or dataset.
- If, for technical or other reasons, you cannot include all the appropriate links and rights information alongside the metadata that you have used, you may consider linking only to the specific metadata source on Archives Portal Europe, where all available sources and rights information can be found.
Metadata is dynamic; consider using the metadata via the Archives Portal Europe API or by linking.
- When working with metadata obtained via Archives Portal Europe, please be aware that it is not static but subject to change. Archives Portal Europe continuously updates its metadata to correct mistakes and include new and additional information. Therefore, the best way to use metadata published by Archives Portal Europe is via the Archives Portal Europe API or by linking to the specific data on Archives Portal Europe or directly on the content provider’s website. If, for technical or other reasons, you cannot do this, then provide a link back to the source of the data on Archives Portal Europe or implement an update mechanism.
Provided the licence applied to the metadata allows modifications, please mention your modifications of the metadata and make your modified metadata available under the same terms.
- Please do not use the metadata in a way that suggests you have any official status or that the content provider, aggregator or Archives Portal Europe endorse you or your use of the metadata, unless you have prior permission to do so.
- Please do not mislead others or misrepresent the metadata or its sources.
- Please make the metadata and any improvements thereto freely available under the same terms as Archives Portal Europe.
Please note that you use the metadata at your own risk.
- Archives Portal Europe offers the metadata as-is and makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning any metadata published via Archives Portal Europe.
- Any use of the metadata must conform to all applicable laws and other regulations in your jurisdiction, notably concerning (but not limited to) data protection, defamation or copyright.
- Be aware of any additional applicable community norms of content providers and aggregators.
Thank you very much for your cooperation