United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army approved schools for girls: Woodlands
Scope and content
These are the papers of Woodlands approved school for girls, East Grinstead, 1942 - 1985.
The records were not kept in any original order and so have been arranged into a logical structure.
They have been arranged thus:
WDL/1: Administration: Minutes of meetings, day books, incident books and legal documents.
WDL/2: Residents records: Residents records, registers, reports and status information.
WDL/3: Ephemera: Non-specific infomation regarding the working and status of the home.
WDL/4: Photographs: Contains photographs from the home and its residents.
Records creator's history
Woodlands was opened in 1942 as an approved school under the Home Office. In 1971 following implementation of the 1969 Childrens Act it became a children's home. It closed in 1985.
Conditions governing access
This collection is partially available for research. Records of a personal nature relating to identified individuals are closed for the lifespan of the individual. When it is not possible to establish whether an individual has died, a closure period of 75 years (if the individual was an adult when the record was created) or 100 years (if the individual was a child when the record was created) is imposed under the Data Protection Act . Former residents can apply for access to their own records. Please enquire for details. Open files can be viewed in the reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre, open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. To make an appointment or to enquire about your own records, phone: 0207 326 7800; or email: email@example.com .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A multi-level description of this collection can be accessed in the International Heritage Centre's online catalogue:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive