United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army children's homes: The Nest
Scope and content
These are the records of The Nest Children's Home, 1902-1932.
This collection comprises two Children's History Books which contain details of individual residents at The Nest. Residents were female (with one exception) and aged 1 month-17 years upon admission. Information is registered in two sections: admissions ('History') and exit ('Career after leaving the home').
Admission categories include home no; name; age; where born; manner of application; where from; date; cause of application; name and address of parent(s); payment; personal appearance. The admissions section also comprises 'Further Particulars' and details regarding 'History and Progress while in the Home'.
Exit categories include where sent; conduct in home; amount due for Outfit; personal appearance; state of health. This section also includes dates and details of further communication between the resident and the home and further contributions to Out-of-Love Fund.
The records are arranged as follows:
TN/1: Children's History Book, 1902-1926
TN/2: Children's History Book, 1913-1932
Records creator's history
The work of The Nest began at Shore Road, Hackney, in 1895; it moved to Lanark House, Clapton, in 1896 and to a new site in Upper Clapton in 1901. This new site was the first to be called The Nest; it was officially opened by Mrs Florence Booth in 1902 as a Home for Mothers with Young Children. Upon opening accommodation was for 30 mothers with as many children; the officer in charge was Major Mariane Adsell.
By 1906 The Nest was a children's home only. In 1908 it had accommodation for 70 girls and was known as a Girls' Home. Girls received schooling in the home and were trained for domestic service.
In 1908 The Salvation Army acquired a second site in Ramsgate to provide extra space for The Nest; it was initially used as a seaside holiday home. This site opened with accommodation for 20 girls and was known as The Nest II and The Nest Ramsgate Branch. By 1912 this work was moved to a new premises in Ramsgate (West Cliff Road) which came to be known as The Haven, a Home for Little Girls and 'sister' of The Nest.
The Nest closed in 4 November 1934; the work was carried on at St Mildred's Court in Westgate on Sea and the associates became attached to Lanark House. In 1938 children were transferred from St Mildred's Court to Millfield.
Conditions governing access
Some of this collection is closed to the public. Records of a personal nature relating to identified individuals are closed for the lifespan of the individual. When it is not possible to establish whether an individual has died, a closure period of 75 years (if the individual was an adult when the record was created) or 100 years (if the individual was a child when the record was created) is imposed under the Data Protection Act . Former residents can apply for access to their own records. Please enquire for details. Open files can be viewed in the reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre, open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. To make an appointment or to enquire about your own records, phone: 0207 326 7800; or email: email@example.com .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A multi-level description of this collection can be accessed in the International Heritage Centre's online catalogue:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive