United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army homes for women: Springfield Lodge Inebriates' Home
Scope and content
These are the records of Springfield Lodge Inebriates' Home, 1907-1917.
The site of Springfield Lodge was officially opened as Denmark Hill Inebriates' Home in June 1907; the first residents were a transfer of female 'inebriates' from Hillsborough House, Hackney. In 1915 the work of Denmark Hill Inebriates' Home was transferred first to Hope Town (Hopetown), Hackney, and then to Ellerslie, Hackney, and the site of Springfield Lodge reopened as a Home for Mentally Deficient Women.
The records in this collection relate only to inebriacy work and include some records dating from the period when this work was relocated from Springfield Lodge to Hopetown and Ellerslie. The collection comprises:
SPR/1: History Book
The History Book contains details of individual female residents at Springfield Lodge, and some from its predecessor, Hillsborough House, and its successors, Hopetown and Ellerslie. Information is registered in two sections: admissions ('History') and exit ('Career after leaving the home').
Admission categories include home no; name; age; where born; manner of application; where from; date; cause of fall. The admissions section also comprises an in-depth statement ('Further Particulars') detailing the history, circumstances and character of the applicant based on their primary interview with a Salvation Army Social Work officer; a list of further 'Dates of Warden's Interviews'; and details of 'Disposal on Leaving the Home'.
Exit categories include change of address and 'contributions to Out-of-Love Fund'. This section also comprises dates and details of further communication between the resident and the home.
Records creator's history
The site of Springfield Lodge was officially opened as Denmark Hill Inebriate Home in June 1907; the first residents were a transfer of female 'inebriates' from Hillsborough House, Hackney. In 1915 the work of Denmark Hill Inebriate Home was transferred first to Hope Town, Hackney and then to Ellerslie, Hackney and the site of Springfield Lodge reopened as a Home for Mentally Deficient Women. In April 1923 this work ceased and the site reverted to use as an Inebriate Home until November 1939.
In December 1939 the site became an Eventide Home for Women; its first residents were transfers from Westgate, Southwood and St Cuthberts. In 1941 the residents of Springfield Lodge were evacuated to Gundimore, Christchurch.
In January 1943 the site became a Receiving Home; it was also temporarily used as a War Emergency Home.
From July 1949 to May 1956 Springfield Lodge was a Children's Home for 19 female residents aged 13-15.
In May 1956 Springfield Lodge became a Young Women's Residence; this work ceased in December 1962.
A new house was built on the site in the early 1970s and Glebelands Retired Officers' Home was transferred there from Bidborough, Kent, opening in 1972. It closed in November 1990.
In 1991 Springfield Lodge reopened as a Centre for Men. During 2012 the site of Springfield Lodge was rebuilt as part of the 'New Build Scheme'; it was officially opened by Chief Secretary Colonel David Hinton, 25 October 2012. The new site opened with accommodation for 40 residents of both sexes aged 16-21, the majority aged 16-17 and with 'high support needs'.
Conditions governing access
Open for research. The reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre is open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. It is advisable to make an appointment. Tel: 0207 326 7800; email: email@example.com .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A multi-level description of this collection can be accessed in the International Heritage Centre's online catalogue:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive