United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army homes for women: Chatham Rescue Home
Scope and content
These are the records of Chatham Rescue Home, 1896-1918.
There are two volumes:
RHC 1: Girl's History Book, 1896-1907
RHC 2: Girl's History Book, 1908-1918
These are indexed and include detailed information under the headings Name, Age, Where born, Manner of application, Date of entry, In-depth further particulars and Career after leaving the home.
Records creator's history
The site of 117 Henry Street, Chatham, was opened as a Salvation Army Rescue Home for Women in 1896; it was known as Chatham Home. The first resident was admitted 15 February 1896. For several years from 1898 the site also served as a Midnight Post.
In 1912 the work was transferred to a new site at Pembroke House, 42 New Road, Chatham; the new site was designated an Industrial Home for Women.
In September 1928 the work was transferred to a new site at Beulah House, 9-11 New Road, Chatham. The name Beulah House was used from August 1929. In December 1929 Beulah House was registered for the acceptance of female probation cases.
In August 1944 the work of Beulah House (also known as Chatham Girls' Industrial Home) was moved from the site of Beulah House to Green Acre (or Greenacre(s)) in Rochester.
Conditions governing access
Open for research. The reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre is open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. It is advisable to make an appointment. Tel: 0207 326 7800; email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A multi-level description of this collection can be accessed in the International Heritage Centre's online catalogue:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive