United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army children's homes: The Haven
Scope and content
These are the records of The Haven children's home, 1925-2012.
Under the terms of the Data Protection Act , children's records are closed for 100 years. The other records in this collection are closed for 25 years due to the nature of their content.
The records are arranged in six series:
HAV/2 Board of Management
HAV/3 Log records
HAV/5 Day Books
Records creator's history
The work of The Haven has been carried out at several sites and under different names.
The original site of The Haven at 2 Albert Road, Ramsgate opened in 1908 with accommodation for 20 girls. This site was acquired in order to provide extra space for The Salvation Army's London children's home The Nest and was initially used as a seaside holiday home. It was known as The Nest II, The Nest Ramsgate Branch and Ramsgate Children's Home.
During 1911-1912 the work was moved to a new site at West Cliff Road, Ramsgate.
During the first and second world war residents were temporarily evacuated to other sites.
In December 1945 the work was transferred to Willoughby House, 42 Crystal Palace Park Road, London. The work was known by this name until August 1948 when the name was changed to The Haven.
From 15 March 1968 The Haven also began accommodating boys.
In November 1977 residents were temporarily moved to St Margarets, London whilst the old site of The Haven was demolished and rebuilt. The new site was officially opened by the Duchess of Westminster 23 November 1982; it had accommodation for 30 children in three Units of 10.
The Haven closed in 2012.
Conditions governing access
Most of this collection is closed to the public. Records of a personal nature relating to identified individuals are closed for the lifespan of the individual. When it is not possible to establish whether an individual has died, a closure period of 75 years (if the individual was an adult when the record was created) or 100 years (if the individual was a child when the record was created) is imposed under the Data Protection Act . Former residents can apply for access to their own records. Please enquire for details. Open files can be viewed in the reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre, open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. To make an appointment or to enquire about your own records, phone: 0207 326 7800; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A paper catalogue is available in the reading room of the International Heritage Centre.
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive