United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army homes for women: Grove House and Hillsborough House Inebriates' Homes
Scope and content
These are the records of Grove House and Hillsborough House, Homes for Inebriate Women, 1896-1907.
This collection comprises one Statement Book which contains details of individual female residents. Information is registered in two sections: admissions ('History') and exit ('Career after leaving the home').
The collection is arranged as follows:
GHHH/1: Grove House and Hillsborough House Statement Book
Records creator's history
Grove House was opened as a Salvation Army Rescue Home in 1889; in 1896 it was redesignated an Inebriates' Home for Women and in 1901 the work was transferred to Hillsborough House. In 1907 the residents of Hillsborough House were transferred to The Salvation Army's new centre at Springfield Lodge.
Conditions governing access
Open for research. The reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre is open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. It is advisable to make an appointment. Tel: 0207 326 7800; email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Other finding aids
A multi-level description of this collection can be accessed in the International Heritage Centre's online catalogue:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army
Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive