United Kingdom > Salvation Army International Heritage Centre Archive
Salvation Army UK Territorial departments: The Campfield Press
Scope and content
These are the papers of Campfield Press, 1899-1993.
This collection is made up of all existing Salvation Army printing works records from 1899 until 1991, although the works up until 1915 did not operate under the name Campfield Press. For the purposes of this catalogue, all material is regarded as Campfield Press.
In later years, Campfield Press was also regarded as part of the bigger company Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd (SPS). Material here is not regarded as SPS material despite its wider management, as it specifically relates to Campfield Press. SPS material is catalogued separately under that collection name.
As no original order has survived, the records have been arranged in a logical structure and not one which relays the original functions of the business.
The arrangement of the records are as follows:
CP 1 Correspondence
CP 2 Administrative and legal papers
CP 3 General Strike papers
CP 4 Finance Council
CP 5 Reports (Inventory and Valuation)
CP 6 Employees, divided into 2 sub-series: Pension Fund and Employee's handbooks
CP 7 Premises
CP 8 Printing, divided into 2 sub-series: Examples of work and Type Faces
CP 9 'The Campfield Courier'
CP 10 Photographs
CP 11 Newspaper cuttings
Records creator's history
In 1879, the first Salvation Army printing office was in Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel, at the rear of the Headquarters at 272 Whitechapel Road. Later the printing works was at 96 Southwark Street, London SE (c1886) and 56 Southwark Street (c1889), though the address 15a Fieldgate Street still appeared in 'The War Cry' and 'The Young Soldier' during this period. In March 1890 it moved to Clerkenwell Road, and then in November 1901 it finally moved to St Albans where it was to be for the next 90 years. From 1915 onwards, it was known as The Campfield Press, printing Salvation Army publications and other independent work. The press closed in October 1991. Its building in St Albans was demolished in 1993.
Conditions governing access
Open for research. The reading room of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre is open Tue-Fri 9.30-4.00. An appointment is required to view these records as they are stored offsite. Tel: 0207 326 7800; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
Language of the material
The Salvation Army, 1878-present
SALVATION ARMY INTERNATIONAL HERITAGE CENTRE