United Kingdom > Harlaxton Manor Archives
Parish Church of St. Mary and St. Peter, Harlaxton
Scope and content
A small collection of information relating to the Church
St Mary and St Peter Church Harlaxton
Language of the material
Harlaxton Manor Archives
Added by Linda Dawes, College Librarian, November 2017
Records creator's history
St Mary and St Peter's Church is a Grade I listed Church of England parish church dedicated to Saint Mary and Saint Peter in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire, England. The church is situated 2 miles (3 km) south-east from Grantham, and at the eastern edge of the Vale of Belvoir in South Kesteven. It is noted in particular for its association with and memorials to the Harlaxton Manor Gregory and de Ligne families, c.1410 effigies of Sir Richard Rickhill and his wife, Elizabeth, and the church's 19th-century restoration by John Oldrid Scott. According to English Heritage, between 1174 and 1185 land at Harlaxton to build a church was provided by William the Conqueror's grand daughter Matilda. By 1535 Harlaxton held one of the nine chantries within the deanery of Grantham. The present church structure dates, in parts, from the late 12th century, with later additions and alterations in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries.
The church is within the Harlaxton village conservation area. It is in the ecclesiastical parish of Harlaxton, and is part of the Harlaxton Group of Parishes in the Deanery of Loveden and the Diocese of Lincoln. Other churches in the same group are St Andrew's, Denton; All Saints', Stroxton; St James', Woolsthorpe; and St Catherine's, Wyville.
System of arrangement
Location: Box 11
- loc/1/1 Murden, James (1974). The Parish of Saint Mary and Saint Peter, Harlaxton. Information booklet. [1 x original; 3 x copies]
- loc/1/2 Excerpts from Turnor (1806) The history of the town and soke of Grantham, p. 105-114. Contains information about the Church including a plan, the original Manor House in village, an engraving by Howlett (drawn by Bourne), pedigrees of Gregory and de Ligne families [2 x copies]
- loc/1/3 Typewritten transcriptions (Harris?). loc/1/3/1 From Turnor, 1806 - see above. loc/1/3/2 Notes about Church typed from unknown source [further photocopy of each]
- loc/1/4 3 x colour photographs of wall inscriptions and memorials to George de Ligne Gregory, Cadwaller Glynne, benefactors of Harlaxton Parish. Photographer: Margaret Ashley (2004)
- loc/1/5 Typewritten description of Church. Source unknown.
- loc/1/6 King, Gilbert (Churchwarden) 1988. Handwritten information about Gregory graves in St. Mary's Church, Burton Lazars, Melton Mowbray.
Conditions governing access
By appointment only
St Mary and St Peter Church Harlaxton Grantham Lincolnshire United Kingdom Europe