United Kingdom > Harlaxton Manor Archives
Harlaxton Manor - The Jesuits
Scope and content
- jes/1 Jesuits - Materials collected from Jesuit Archives
- jes/1/1 Jesuits - Correspondence
- jes/1/2 Jesuits - First impressions of Harlaxton Manor
- jes/1/3 Jesuits - Pegasus Memorial
- jes/1/4 Jesuits - Country Life article
- jes/1/5 Jesuits - Photographs of Harlaxton Manor
- jes/1/6 Jesuits - Paintings
- jes/1/7 Jesuits - Jesuit Archives card file entries
- jes/2 Jesuits - Armes
- jes/3Extract from Daily Telegraph and Morning Post, April 18, 1957. Jesuits to sell Manor, Novitiates move. [Typewritten transcript; donated by T. W. Jones, Melton Mowbray, Nov. 1976]
- jes/4Photographs c. 1952 donated by Scott-Harden & Associates, May, 1978. Refectory; Great Hall; Pegasus Courtyard [Photograph collection P.2 Int]
- jes/5Jesuit memories; jes/5/1 Kenneth Kahn and David Smith; jes/5/2 Kenneth Kahn visit April 1994; jes/5/3 Father George Orr SJ, visited January 1995; jes/5/4 Father John Twist SJ visited June 1995; jes/5/5 Ron Salter visited June 2002. Mr Salter was a Joiner, also masonry and time-keeping
- jes/6Miscellaneous Jesuit papers; jes/6/1 Letter from Thomas M McCoog, Jesuit Archives to Mr and Mrs Nannery (Tour guides), 05-Aug-97 [Typed letter]; jes/6/2 From Rev Dr Joseph A Munitiz, Master, Campion Hall to Dr Stepsis re. portrait of Edmond Campion, 08-Dec-95 [Typed letter]; jes/6/3 Extracts about Campion Hall [Photocopied extracts]; jes/6/4 Extract from Lees-Milne, James. Diaries re visit to Harlaxton Manor, Published 1994 [Photocopied extract]
- jes/7Copies of items held in Jesuit Archives, London. Created by Dr Mark Valenzuela, 2016 [PPT file on Manor Research Drive]; jes/7/1 Copies of plans; jes/7/2 Copies of 24 photographs
- jes/8Miscellaneous photographs dating from Jesuit occupation, provenance unknown. Manor front drive [P.1.ext]; Pegasus Courtyard; Cedar Staircase; Long Gallery; Great Hall Chapel [Photograph collection P.2.int]
Records creator's history
Father Martin d'Arcy, Procurator, was Head of the English Jesuits (1945-1951) and former Master of Campion Hall, Oxford, and was responsible for the purchase of Harlaxton Manor as an investment by the Jesuits. The Manor was purchased from Mrs Van der Elst in 1948 for £43,000 plus £7000 for garden ornaments, chandeliers etc. It is said that the Jesuits had the Manor exorcised following "odd happenings" when they first took over the building. After the exorcism "shrieks were heard coming from the chimneys".
Of the 30 novices who entered Harlaxton in 1955, 21 took vows and 13 of the 21 were ordained, but by the 1990s only 7 were still in the priesthood. There was room for 50 novices, but in 1962 there were only 18 here, with an additional 5 joining later, making a total of 23.
The Great Hall became the main chapel. The stone doorway to the Cedar Staircase was removed and panelling installed to make room for the altar. There was strict segregated hierarchy within the Manor – Brothers, Novices, Priests and Formed Brothers. Only the older priests lived and were allowed on the Blue (300s) Corridor and in the State Rooms. The Long Gallery and sometimes the Refectory were used for voice projection classes and the Schroeder Lounge as a small chapel for Formed Brothers, with only one entrance near the lift. The State Dining Room was a Reception Room, with the stairs in the cupboard from below, still in existence in 1955. Later this room became a Library. The walls were lined with booked filled shelves, and one of the doors was also covered with artificial shelving and books making it difficult to find the exit!
The Gold Room was used as a Sacristy and the Morning Room was Father Cammack's office. The Refectory had a pulpit near the servery and food was served on rough, long tables along the walls. One side was for priests the other for brothers. Meals were taken in silence. The Cedar Staircase was carpeted, as was most of the Manor. It was dusted once a year, using long-handled feather dusters. There were lavish drapes and furniture in the State Rooms, some from the Van der Elst era, but these rooms were only used for visitors and meetings. The Van der Elst room was a spiritual library used by the older priests. Because of the elderly men in the Manor, the lift was installed.
The current Library was used as a Novice Meeting Room, with access from the main Library Corridor. The old kitchen range was still in place. The Music Room was used for workers at the Manor. Most of the labourers used by the Jesuits were Polish.
Sleeping quarters for novices were in the top floor of the Principal's Lodge with entry from the corridor past the Library. They were in long dormitories, divided with curtains for privacy. Basic washing facilities were provided in the rooms currently used as offices/IT office. In winter the water would freeze – "cold nose, warm toes" was one Father's saying! There were also dormitories on the 200 corridor – along this floor the corridor used to be wide and run along the back on the Manor. Cubicles were off to the other side. The Jesuits did their own cooking and cleaning, with laundry being done by external staff. Two gardeners were employed with a Head Gardener. The novices worked in the gardens with fruit and vegetables being grown in the kitchen (walled) garden. Two hours per day were spent on external operations such as gardening. The Jesuits established tennis courts at the top of the Lion Terrace.
The statue by the Dutch Canal is of Jesuit origin; it is thought to be St. Stanislaus Kostka, who died as a Jesuit novice at 18 years old in 1568, and is considered the patron saint of Jesuit novices. The Dutch Canal was dragged using chicken wire stretched across and lowered into the water but this did not work as the wire got caught on the pipe half way along.
Why did the Jesuits leave Harlaxton?
Reforms within the Catholic Church in the early 1960s led to fewer novices. By 1964 the Jesuits decided the Manor was too worldly and that older fathers were living in too much comfort so the order moved into premises already owned in Edinburgh.
Added by Linda Dawes, College Librarian, April 2017. Updated Feb 2018.
System of arrangement
Archives Box 5 Jesuits
Conditions governing access
By appointment only
Conditions governing reproduction
Rights to access and re-use digital objects:
Rights to access and re-use archival descriptive information:
With copyright holder
Other finding aids
This box was first catalogued in 2016 "\\hx-file\StaffShares$\Manor Research\Archive cataloguing\ARCHIVES_CATALOGUE.xlsx" [internal access only]
Harlaxton Manor Harlaxton Grantham Lincolnshire United Kingdom Europe
Language of the material
Jesuits 1948-1966 Harlaxton Manor
D'Arcy Martin Cyril 1888-1976 Father Theologian and Jesuit
Harlaxton Manor Archives
|GB/3454/jes/1||Jesuits - Materials collected from Jesuit Archives|
|GB/3454/jes/2||Jesuits - Armes|
|GB/3454/jes/9||Jesuits - Skanski|